Implementation of eCall in Europe as integral part of the European uniform emergency calls number 112 will meet the challenges before the new motor vehicles with GPS to be sold in EU after year 2018. In case of emergency the eCall will transmit the exact location, time of accident, and travel direction to the emergency team. The signal shall be transmitted automatically by the motor car or may be activated manually by the driver using a button.
Being a leading global company for software and services Avaya realizes the need of ensuring better public safety and emergency help services and works intensively in that aspect for years now. Furthermore, the Avaya teams develop the platform Avaya Breeze ™ for intelligent connection of location data with the incoming calls eCall or AML and their provision to the responsible officer E911. Recently, in cooperation with Engelbart Software, Oecon also developed a flexible and integral solution for that type of situation with emergency calls and the results are very good.
In fact, eCall increasingly becomes a key factor for a change in the complete process of communication in emergency cases and implementation of IoT in the scope of public safety. What happens in practice?
- A motor vehicle is under a situation of car accident on the road.
- The vehicle sensors initiate a sequence of events carried out by the vehicles’ system (IVS).
- The SIM card is registered in the strongest mobile network in order to send an emergency call to EU E112.
- Modem is activated that encodes the GPS data and other information related to the motor vehicle, and sends it as signals in audio channel.
- Immediately after data transmission IVS goes into “free hands” system that allows the people in the car to communicate with the E112 responder.
What happens in the emergency center?
- The officer from E112 receives the call from the mobile device by obtaining the exact information about the location, which by now has been impossible.
- The officer from E112 can be sure that this is a serious situation, because the air bags are released and that activates a sequence of actions for emergency calls.
- Most probably there is no one to respond to E112, in order to talk. Why? Because this is automatic, but not voluntarily call from a real person. While the model records the data in the public safety system (PSAP), the passengers may already have gone out of the car and cannot hear the question “Are you alright?” by E112, or they simply cannot answer due to the seriousness of the accident.